The city was incorporated on May 26, 1955 and named for the Cuban city outside of Havana where Mailman had a summer home (Miramar translates to “Look at the Sea” in Spanish). At the time of incorporation, the city had a population of less than two hundred people. With approximately 2.9 square miles land area, Miramar’s original city boundaries were Southwest 64 Avenue on the east, University Drive on the west, the Dade County line on the south, and Pembroke Road on the north. On June 20, 1955, the city’s first mayor (Robert Gordon) and city council were sworn in, all of which were appointed by the governor and served until January 1959, at which time the first municipal election was held. The city seal is inscribed with the motto “Beauty and Progress”.
Mr. H.D. Perry Sr.’s part in Miramar did not cease with selling of the land to Mr. Mailman for development. He is recognized as one of the foremost pioneers in the history of Miramar. His character and civic-activities influenced not only the lives of early residents, but continues to the present-day, as evidenced by the schools and parks in the city which bear his family’s name. Many long-time residents fondly recall the community barbecues hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Perry during those early years. Others are grateful to Mr. Perry for the lessons in animal husbandry, which he conducted for the benefit of Miramar’s youth so that they could learn something of farm life.
The only major roads when Miramar was developed were U.S. 441 which was a two-lane road at that time, Hallandale Beach Boulevard to Southwest 66 Terrace and Pembroke Road which was a dirt road to University Drive. There were no other transportation routes of any kind supplying access to the new community. Miramar’s early city fathers advocated the philosophy of planned and controlled growth. The city adopted a Comprehensive Land Use Plan in 1972 before cities and counties were mandated to do so. This provided the framework for the orderly development of future growth. A fact not widely known is that the residential City of Miramar is one of the largest cities in size in the State of Florida. With 2/3 of land not yet developed, the decision to guide and control the city’s growth remains a wise one.